Tuesday, February 10, 2009

7-8.02 Minnesota: St.Paul, Duluth and Virginia

Saturday evening turned out to be a blast. 2 hour nap in the afternoon saved me from the regular coma that comes after staying awake for 36 hours in a row. Some of Mare's friends gathered at the apartment in the afternoon - by the evening there was a nice crowd of 9 people. We ended up taking a bus and city train to downtown St.Paul. Lots of dancing followed. Luckily the bars and clubs close here at 2am, otherwise I think we would have been up till the morning and I would have had to head directly to the airport :-P Getting back was a challenge though. We tried to get a cab for about 30 minutes, it felt like ages, standing by the side of the road and trying find a ride back home. As the whole downtown had the exact same plan as us (to get a cab) the streets were filled with people and cars creating huge traffic jams. It seemed absolutely impossible to find anything at all. In the end we just walked up to one empty cab, opened the door, sat in and demanded a ride :) It worked :) Of course only 5 of us fit there and the other bunch ended up waiting another 20 minutes. Sadly enough the had the key so we still had to wait outside once at the apartment.

Thanks to the time difference I had no trouble getting up 9am the following morning. After a quick shower Mare drove me to the airport. Surprisingly enough the whole checkin and getting through security took me only 15 minutes, that gave me plenty of time to have breakfast - missing that would have not been good at all.

Plane ride to Duluth was only 35 minutes - like a flight from Tallinn to Helsinki :) Nikki was waiting for me at the gate with two of her adorable sons: Colten and Wyatt. Colten is 2 years and 4 months and Wyatt is 8 months old. The younger one had a runny nose and an awful cough so he was not the happiest unfortunately. Older boy was shy at first but that passed quickly. Drive to Virginia Minnesota was about an hour. We covered so many topics on the way back - catching up on every possible aspect we could think of :) So great to see Nikki again!

Sunday we spent at home, just chatting and playing with the kids. Ryan was working the whole day and joined us in the evening. Got Dominos in the evening - pepperoni with cheesybread and everything! Headed to bed early. My goal is to eliminate my sleep deprivation during my stay with Nikki. As Nikki and Ryan are both working and kids are at the daycare then I have all the time to relax and rest. I have 16 movies to watch and a thick book to read :)

No comments: