Saturday, February 14, 2009

13.02 traveling from Minnesota to Hawaii

Friday the 13th was not a good day. It started off just fine: got up at 4:30 and took a quick shower. Kids were gonna come with us so we got them woken up and ready to go. Older boy was so qute - he was tired but he kept telling that I will go to the airport and will fly on a plane. I guess he really did not understand that this means I'm flying away. We headed out at 5 to drive to Duluth airport. Roads were fine and we got there quarter after 6, farewells followed. Colten was left sitting in the car with the most confused face when I said that I'll be leaving now and I'll be back in couple of years - he fell all silent.

At the ticket counter the lady could not figure out all the flights I will be taking. I asked her to book me all the way through, but she was unable to do it, claiming that she sees me only on one flight?!?! Finally we got so far that she checked my luggage all the way at least.

So I get to Minneapolis just fine. At the check-in they announce that as they are overbooked they are looking for volunteers to change flights. I was suppose to fly from Minneapolis to Honolulu and from there to Maui. Now they were offering to go directly to Maui via Seattle - I understood that in Seattle I don't even need to get off the plane, great I thought, so I decided to switch the flights. Now that was a big mistake. They did give me a voucher that I can't most likely use up within a year though. Anyhoo, but what they did was that they only got me a seat up till Seattle and then they did not book me on the next flight. This I found out only in Seattle of course :( So I was about to get stuck in Seattle because the flight to Maui was overbooked! Argh I was so upset. They had also messed up bookings for one family where 2 people out of 4 had seats, so those 2 came off the flight and I got on. I got to Maui just fine, flight was awfully bumpy though. Wytni found me at the airport and even my luggage made it!

By the time we had gotten the rental car and got the the condominium we were all dead tired and headed straight to bed.

No comments: