Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Echoes from Australia-NZ-California trip

This time I dove into everyday life basically instantly - returned to the office next morning. Transition was not very smooth, but weekend was close and that really helped. I have been back for 20 days already and the pace has still now slowed down - probably never will :) Making a note of giving myself more time in the future to get back into my daily doings. And no, it is not a very good idea to postpone things with adding a note of "will do once I'm back" - bad idea right there!

Now, but I came here to give a bit of a summary and to look back at the trip from my everyday life. Well, all in all - it was one of the greatest experiences, the places I visited were wonderful and I got a glimpse of a world I always dreamed of visiting. While being there I saw and heard of all those amazing things I didn't have time to do this time around. Even before I left New Zealand I already had plans forming in my head of all the things I should do once I return :) So yes, I have a plan to go back to Australia and to New Zealand at some point (just to visit of course). It is a must to include some tropical islands like Fiji or Samoa that time as well :) I'd like to see southern part of south island in NZ as well as Wellington. Many areas to discover in Australia of course - like northern coast. So yes, I liked both countries and I will return someday.

My friend asked what did Australia remind me of. Well, to me it is a big country similar in it's ways to US (I know Aussies hate me for saying that) having English traditions and customs. For me, that is a very strange mixture :) And for NZ I'd say it is exactly as wonderful as everybody has told it would be - the only problem here is that the surprise is stolen from you in that case. And the people, yes they were wonderful, mostly. Actually the most memorable ones were foreigners who had moved there. Bumped into couple of rude ones and those were all locals - just my luck I guess. I'm an optimist and I want to believe that people are mostly nice and friendly so I won't complain about the few rude ones, they can be found everywhere (except in Thailand probably).

Australia is this wonderful big mystery island at the bottom of the world that no one seems to get enough of. Now New Zealand can offer you much much more that one could expect from such a distant tiny country by the edge of the world. If I could choose only one place from Australia and New Zealand I could go back to - it would be Sydney. I can't say that I liked Australia best, but I can definitely say that during my travels I enjoyed the time in Australia a bit more. Next time I will find the same connection with NZ as well - just to make peace with the expectations :)

Now I have been totally ignoring my time in US - it was most wonderful to spend time with Jen and Kris, I have missed you! Thank you for taking the time for going on a road trip, I enjoyed it tremendously! Come and visit me soon!

California is wonderful, the ocean, the woods, the hills and mountains, the wines, the history, the cities, the fame, the technology - it's got everything. I'd go back there at any time.

About next travels - there will be trips sooner rather than later. I don't know how I will manage them with my strictly budgeted lifestyle in the next few months - but I will find a way like I always have. Traveling is an addiction and I have been infected all the way to the bottom of my heart with this one. It is an addiction I never want to recover from.

Thank you for listening and good night :)
Cheers mates!

No comments: