Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Getting to Maputo, Mozambique - 24.sept

Taxi was waiting for us 5 minutes to 5am, drive to the airport was super quick thanks to empty roads and the fact that he ignored all the red lights at the intersections probably helped as well. Flight to Johannesburg went quick as I took advantage of the time and wrote up the texts of the past 4 days.

There is this strange thing they do here at the planes before they take off - they spray the cabin. Apparently this is bug spray or something, I suppose it is to prevent a free ride for a mosquito :)

Went on a shopping spree once in Johannesburg airport - they have the coolest necklaces here! And scarfs and cosmetics and all kinds of local thingies. I'm glad we have only limited time here and my credit card has a limit :) Second flight was short with the cutest flight attendant ever - seriously this guy was gorgeous :) Finished reading my book and was bored for the rest of the 20 minutes. Captain announced that the temperature is +37C in Maputo!! WOW :)

Getting of the plane and walking across to the terminal the heat set in. I'm not sure it was really 37, but it was nice and toasty and humid - like real tropics. I had this big smile on my face thinking I'm now in Mozambique :D

Staying with my friend here so we took a cab over to her apartment. Her home is really nice and cozy and I got my own room and a separate bathroom! Apartment is really nice with a big balcony and open kitchen. Had few hours to relax, unpack and shower (first hot shower in 8 days!!! oh did that feel good!). Quick visit to the internet. Yeah, I got access to the wonderful web now :) But the connection is too slow for uploading photos still :(

In the evening there was yet another try to get money out of my VISA - it is such a headache here. Finally one of the ATM's worked, phew. Then zoomed over to the contemporary dance festival. There were 2 shows today. First one was by a local group called 'Colaboracao artistica' performing 'In Kino' - concept was pretty neat, at first they were inside a cubicle and made the audience walk around it as they performed at one of the walls at a time. Later on they opened the cubicle up and moved to outside as well. It was something different, their movements were a bit raw though. Second show was by Swiss group called 'Foofwa' and the piece was called 'The Making of Spectacles' - oh it was sloow, they tried too hard to communicate with the audience and by the end of the show almost half of the people in the audience had left.

Me and my friend were both dead tired so headed directly home after the last show. There was a party afterwards with the coolest music mixing African drums, saxophone and techno music, but we simply did not have the strength to stay awake. Tomorrow we have a day off (almost) and can sleep in :)

No comments: