Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tasmania (Hobart) -> New Zealand (Christchurch) - 16.9

Today went in the name of getting from point 'A' to point 'B'. 'A' being Hobart, Tasmania and 'B' being Christchurch New Zealand. Oh it has been a very very long day. Up since 4am :(, that means only 4 hours of sleep due to BINGO night ;)

So the result was that I slept through both of my flights nice and easy. Managed to keep my eyes open for the last 15 minutes of the second one and got a great view on New Zealand from up above - it is gorgeous! Hostel check-in went smoothly as always, got to the city nicely as well. The rest of the day went by trying to figure out what is the best and most optimal time usage here, what can I fit in and what I should do. The plan for the next 3 days is the following:

Tomorrow I'll be taking the ever so famous TranzAlpine train ride. This is one the greatest train rides in the world - it will be traversing the Southern Alps between Christchurch to Greymouth taking me from the Pacific Ocean to the Tasman Sea. By Arthur's Pass there will be 8.5km tunnel on the way :) Supposedly the views are magnificent! From Greymouth I'll catch a bus to Franz Josef and stay the night there.

The day after I will be hiking and ice-climbing on Franz Josef Glacier :) There will be total of 6 hours ice time :D That should be fun! Staying the night in Franz Josef again, there is one hostel with sauna in it, will try to get a room there.

On the third day I'll be catching a bus back to Christchurch. I guess that will be a boring day, but I gotta get back here somehow. Then I still almost 2 days to look around here, on the 21st I'm off to the northern island, to Auckland.

It is very very nice to travel during off season: there is no problem on getting a room in a hostel, tours are not crowded, prices are lower - it is perfect. Almost. The only problem is the air temperature. I'd really like it to be a bit warmer than it is, even 5 degrees would do :)

But now, I'll head downstairs. They are offering free shots even in the computer room - can't even imagine what is going on downstairs at the bar then :) Gotta go and check it out :D

Hugs to all of you! Take good care of each other!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHOI !
Hinnad hindadeks, aga 5 kraadi on madal tase. On Sul piisavalt villast pesu? Oled saanud nohu? (pildil tundus Sul jahe olema).Kalli ! M & M

Anonymous said...

so there u are!!
enjoy, i wouuuuuuuld!!!

n-r

dea said...

ei ole nohu saanud veel :) jahe on kyll jah aga k6ik on muidu korras! T2na n2iteks oobin kohas, kus on lausa saun olemas :)

Katrin said...

Tere maailmarändur! Sel korral oled lausa Kapten Granti radadele jõudnud. Kadestamisväärselt äge trajektoor!
Tervitusi vihmasest aga vähe soojemast Tallinnast!
Katrin