Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sydney -> Tasmania - 12.9

Oe it was soo difficult to drag myself out of bed once the alarm went off. I got to "sleep in" till 8:30 :) No more waking up by myself at 7am, apparently. Packed my things and sat behind the computer for an hour or so, did the checkout around 10. It is so strange that checkout time for hotels and hostels is so early around here, very rarely they extend it for an hour, which is not whole lotta help :)

Then followed scheduled breakfast and last walk in town. As usual when somebody leaves there are sad sad goodbyes :( It is truly sad to leave yet another city and a friend behind once more. There are only that many goodbyes I can handle in such a short period of time - waaaa.

Airport shuttle was scheduled to picked me up at 12:30 from the hostel so I would make my flight at 14:15 to Tasmania. Now I get to the airport, I do the checkin and head over to the security check. Over here they ask you to take all metal objects out of the bag and set them on a tray - so for me this means my macbook and a camera. I open my bag and take out the laptop, next should be my camera, well, it's not in the bag! At the hostel I had kept all my stuff between two beds and it seems that I did not check the area carefully enough when checking out :( I had left my camera to the hostel :( I run over to the phone, having a bit over an hour till my plane takes off.

Meanwhile I almost lost my passport (when running from the security area to the phones), luckily one lady found it and walked around with it trying to match somebodys face to the photo :) Managed to find me quite easily as the terminal was almost empty. Anyways I call to the hostel and tell them my sad story. They could not figure out any way to get the camera to me at the terminal. One option would be to ship it for me to Tasmania, but I'm not sure how that would work. So basically the only thing I can think of is to grab a taxi and hope that the return trip can be made within 45 minutes - in Sydney that is :) I ruuuun to the closest taxi driver and tell my sad story. 40AUD (370 EEK) and 35 minutes later I'm back at the terminal with my camera :) I like happy endings :D

Flight to Hobart, Tasmania, takes 1.5 hours. Getting out of the plane we had to walk outside to get back into the terminal - it is sooo cold here :( Well, Australian winter again with it's 18C, but I tell you, it feels like 12C around here. Airport is about 10 minute drive from the city, I get dropped of real close to my hostel. Checkin goes smoothly as always and then I head to discover the town. As it is so cold here I wear all the warm clothes I have with me and it is barely enough :) In the evening it is probably close to 10C or something. Now I just have to say that this place seems totally deserted. I have read some comments about it being slow around here during winter time - yeah, so it is.

5 comments:

Ave travel said...

Oooooooooohhh, lucky you Dea! I was reading and reading and almost not believing that you had lost that nice camera...

Ave travel said...

... but you got it back. Excellent!

Dasanjos said...

WOW! That was close!
You are so brave, and so lucky!
Nice travel, nice pics, nice blog!

Anonymous said...

Hei Dea,
seiklusi Sul jagub ja läheb aina põnevamaks! Hoia ikka varandusest kümne küünega kinni, muidu pole kolme nädala pärast seljakottigi. Väga põnev on lugeda, aga hoidu külmetamisest. Tänan piltide eest.
KODUSED

dea said...

Ave - yeap, I'm pretty glad that I still have my camera :)

Daniel - I certainly are a lucky one :) makes me smile every day!

kodused - kylmetamise eest olen siiani kaitstud olnud, jalad hoian kuivas ja sellest on siiani piisanud. No p2eval l2heb ikka vahest p2ikese k2es soojaks ka :) Pyyan nyyd v2he hoolsam olla ja ehk pass j22b ikka l6puks alles... kui h2sti l2heb siis ehk m6ni vajalikum ese nagu n2iteks fotokas ka ;) Loodan, et need teist korda ei pyya mu k2est enam p6geneda :-P
Kalli kalli teile!