Saturday, October 2, 2010

Leaving Inhaca - 28.sept

The wind has come down, hut seems to be standing nicely still and no fear of taking off this time around. August and September are the windiest months in Mozambique, wind comes along just before the rainy season. Slow morning at the camp, it was raining a bit while I had breakfast but the sun came out later on. Laid in the sun and red my book the whole morning. Picked the book up from my friend's bookshelf - Sofi Oksanen's 'Purge' (Puhastus).

Pickup was arranged for me at 2, boat leaving at 3. Again had to take the smaller boats to the ferry due to the tide, this time the small boat was fully packed, was sure that it will sink before reaching the ferry as waterline was so close to the edge of the boat.

Ferry left exactly at 3 :) what a rare case in Mozambique - something actually happens in time :). Ferry was half empty and I was the only white person on it :) Grab a taxi, went by my friends work place to pick her up and to home we headed. Evening plans were already made - going to eat at a nice restaurant by the sea with a friend of a friend (all the people I meet here in Maputo are my friends friends naturally).

On our way to the restaurant police stopped our car :(, apparently the driver had crossed a continuous line in the middle of the road and now had to pay a heavy fine for it. Police is truly intimidating here. If I would need help here on the streets, then police would the last one I'd turn to. They are truly unjust and scary with their demands and guns.

Dinner was wonderful. Haven't eaten that much sea food ever in my life as I do here. And it is all so delicious!

No comments: